Please do not view this page in mobile mode. There’s some problem with our mobile theme’s image resizing script that’s messing up the formatting. Desktop mode can be turned on by going into your mobile web browser’s settings page.
One of the most interesting features of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is Lockscreen Widgets that lets you add widgets to your lockscreens, given that that app has been updated to support it. It lets you manage your phone directly from your lockscreen without even unlocking it, which is really handy for performing simple tasks such as checking the weather, mails, news, tagging a song, turning on the flash light, etc. Being an Android 4.2 Jelly Bean user, I’m constantly on the hunt for apps that have integrated support for lockscreen widgets. In this looong list, I’m featuring such apps that are worth-downloading.
Also read: Google Nexus 4 Review: An Android Revelation
Meet Any.DO, the best way to-do To-do’s on Android. It’s simple, beautiful & fun.
Millions use Any.DO every day to remember all the tasks they want to-do and make sure they get them done. Key benefits: Seamless cloud sync, Speech recognition, Alerts, Snooze tasks, Google Task Sync, Notes, Sub tasks, Amazing Widgets, Repeating / Recurring Tasks, Missed call, Auto complete, In app actions, Gesture support & much more!
Tasks brings the full Google Tasks experience to Android. Sync with Google Tasks is not just another bullet point in an endless feature list, but lies at the heart of the application. Our goal is to bring all the features you are enjoying online to your Android device. Tasks uses the modern design language introduced with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich throughout the application.
However, that doesn’t mean that we compromise on compatibility, as we made sure that Tasks runs on Android 2.2 or later.
Timetable is the most beautiful and intuitive app on Google Play for managing your school or university life. Save your timetable and all tasks from homework to exams. Often forget to turn down your phones volume? No problem the app automatically mutes (automute) your phone during lessons.
- easily save your lessons and tasks
- view your timetable as list and as grid – search in your timetable and tasks
- two-week-mode for timetable notifications for lessons
- automute phone during lesson
Regularly helps you keep track of all those repeating tasks which don’t have fixed calendar schedules. Maybe you water your plants about once a week, but you don’t care if it’s a different day every week. Or perhaps you visit the dentist every six months, but five or seven months is okay too.
We all have dozens of tasks like these, and traditional calendar-based apps are of little use with such varying schedules. With Regularly, you’ll never forget any of your tasks again!
Highly customizable homescreen widget which allows you to show calendars and tasks from various other Android applications. It comes with various preset themes and has 3 display modes (inline, icon and date row).
Tasks application support:
- SSI gTasks
- Dato GTask
- Google Task Organizer (Full version)
- Got To Do (Full version)
Automatically switch between car, home and office profiles using NFC. Put an NFC tag in your car, home, office and bedroom and automatically change settings, and launch apps by touching a tag.
You can do cool things such as:
- Turn on Bluetooth, turn off Wifi and start your favorite music app when you place it in a dock or scan a tag in your car
- Set your ringer to vibrate, dim the display and set an alarm when you scan a tag on your night stand
- Start up Wifi and automatically connect to your home network when you come home (this also works great for guests so they never have to enter your wireless network info manually)
Wunderlist 2 is the easiest way to manage and share your daily to-do lists. Whether you’re planning an overseas adventure, sharing a shopping list with a loved one, or simply keeping track of your daily to-dos, Wunderlist is here to help you get things done.
With a host of new features including Reminders, Recurring and Subtasks along with improved Notes, Sharing and Notifications Wunderlist 2 ensures that no detail will be missed. These details are then automatically synced across all your devices, no matter what and how many you are using. Download now to see why millions of people around the world have made Wunderlist their daily companion.
Simple calendar widget will show you next appointment.
This widget calendar is analog of standard calendar widget
Support a lot of configuration options:
* Different skins
* Possibility to choose which calendars to show
* Font style and background customization
* Show or hide current day of month
* Possibility to choose which application to open
* Support of tasks using Dato GTasks or Astrid
An open source notepad and to do app with both phone and tablet UIs. Syncs with your existing Google account to keep your notes and tasks backed up in the cloud without requiring you to input any passwords!
* Language selection
* Customizable UI
* Superb Tablet support which mimics Gmail features
* Automatic synchronization with Google Tasks
* Ability to set passwords on notes
* Integration with Android Agenda Widget
* Search all your notes (not just titles)
MUSIC & AUDIO
* Blazing fast music recognition
* The world’s only singing and humming recognition
* LiveLyrics: see lyrics move in time with the music
* SoundHound Headlines: brings you free song streams, new artists, and more
* Real-time Facebook and Twitter updates from your favorite artists
* Facebook and Twitter sharing, listen-on-startup, and geotagging
* Buy links, YouTube videos, artist biographies, and much more
Yatse is a full featured XBMC Remote with Widgets. Take full control of your XBMC with complete library support and beautiful widgets, optimized for phones and tablets.
- Offline library synchronization. List your XBMC medias everywhere.
- Support Multiple XMBC installation (And centralized Mysql database). Fast XBMC selection from widget or home.
- XBMC Starter for Windows. Start XBMC directly from your remote, no need for additional Android application.
- Full support for Media Player Classic (MPC or MPC-HC) as an external player.
Full support for XBMC Frodo.
12. CBS SportCaster
CBS SportCaster delivers lightning fast updates of scores, stats and tweets for all major sports. You can customize based on your preference for sports, leagues and teams. You can also customize push notices that will keep you on top of all the live action. PLUS, it is the only sports app with live Twitter feeds for every team, every game.
Scores – Scoreboards for all major sports, including:
- Football (NFL, NCAA)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAA)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Soccer (Premier League, MLS, Champions League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Europa League, Ligue 1, Scottish Premier, Dutch Eredivisie, Mexican Primera, Brazilian Serie A, Argentina Primera)
- Golf (PGA)
- Auto Racing (NASCAR, F1)
CricScoredroid promises to be simple and fastest in android market. It is shows current cricket matches with current score, results and fixtures, It also includes Audio Commentary and home screen widget. Also includes comprehensive Scorecard and commentary. With the help of this application, a user can select a particular match for detailed scorecard. The user can also subscribe to various notifications and alerts such as wickets and score updates in various forms (Status bar alert or toast, audio).
It also includes a home screen widget which displays the current score. Application Settings includes score update rate, widget match selection and notification media selection(With sound, vibration or light). User can set up Reminder for match start.
Mizuu is an easy-to-use media center application made exclusively for Android smartphones and tablets. Mizuu is capable of managing all your movie and TV show video files, and automatically downloads information about the video content – including title, plot and cover art. Love videos on the web? Browse through the latest and greatest videos from Reddit and YouTube, watch exciting video streams and games from Justin.tv / Twitch.tv, or listen to the latest talks from amazing and inspiring people at TED Talks. You can also use Mizuu to watch the latest trailers for upcoming movies.
15. TV Show Favs
TV Show Favs allows you to maintain a list of your favorite TV shows, as well as tag any TV show or episode with whatever tag you come up with!
Create robust lists to help separate the shows you watch and make it easier to track them. Check out your schedule to see which shows have upcoming episodes, or see which shows had recent episodes you might have missed. Mark which episodes you have watched so you can keep track of the episodes you haven’t. Use the to do list to see what your progress is for each show, and to easily see which episodes you need to watch. Check out the top favs among all users of TV Show Favs and even filter by date range, show status, classification and genre! Use the customizable home screen widget to see your next episode for your shows or upcoming or recent episodes at a glance, and even jump to the episode, show, or mark the episode as watched right from the widget!
Manage the progress of (re-)watching your favorite TV shows. See what is coming up, keep track of what to watch next. Check in with trakt.tv or GetGlue. Share episodes with your friends or the world.
Offline support (Internet connection may be required for adding or updating shows, downloading episode images, sharing).
Pushover is a simple push notification service that integrates easily into web apps like IFTTT, network monitoring systems, shell scripts, and anything else that needs to send alerts to your mobile devices.
- WordPress Plugin
- Sick Beard
- Growl Plugin
- And more!
Battery widget – circle battery level indicator indicator perfectly fits pure Android design
- support for both main and external dock battery (Asus Transformer only) Status bar notification of battery status
- multiple icon styles – prediction (estimation) how long battery lasts
- customizable texts in notification area (estimated time left, voltage, temperature, battery health)
Flashlight app. Use your device’s camera LED / flash / screen as a torch. Incredibly simple and yet very useful flashlight application. Will use your device’s camera LED / flash / screen as a torch.
- It supports the widest range of devices with camera flashlight (led flash)
- It’s also the brightest flashlight / torch, because of the camera flashlight, which emits very intense light in the dark.
- Has great and diverse screen lights
SOCIAL & NEWS
Falcon is a powerful widget that brings a full Twitter client to your home-screen.
- Read your Timeline / mentions without even opening an app
- Open web pages (internal browser), pictures, videos and replies from any tweet in one tap – Fastest access to content ever!
- Tweet, Retweet and reply from the widget or the popups
- User profiles, follow, DM or tweet them
- Expandable notifications for mentions in real time
Plume is a beautiful and completely customizable Twitter app that will revolutionize the way you use Twitter! Brought to you by the authors of the popular Beautiful Widgets, Plume is one of the best Twitter clients for Android!
- Multiple twitter accounts support
- Mute twitter users, word or applications
- Picture preview – Internal browser
- Autocomplete twitter hashtags and username
- Inline twitter conversation
- Display replies to a tweet
- And a lot more!
Echofon is the easy-to-use, super fast Twitter app that smartly syncs across all your devices. Wrapped in a beautiful, clean interface, Echofon for Android packs a punch, featuring gorgeous desktop widget, instant notifications, light and dark color themes and more – all the Twitter features you need to bring order to your busy social media life.
* Sync between all your Echofon apps on Android or iOS devices so you never read a Tweet, @Mention or Direct Message twice
* Instant notifications alert you of new Direct Messages, @Mentions, follows, and favorite or Retweeted Tweets
* Easily manage multiple Twitter accounts
TweetCaster has a gorgeous look with an intuitive interface that makes it super easy to navigate and use. Plus it’s lightning fast, and ultra reliable. It is optimized for both phones and tablets, TweetCaster’s innovative feature set has been highly praised by users and reviewers.
* Search Party – How Twitter search was meant to be! Lets you search just your own timeline, or someone else’s, rather than all of Twitter.
* My Stats – Up-to-the-minute tally of stats includes Most Retweeted, Most Mentioned, Most Favorited, many more
* Zip It – Zip annoying tweeters or keywords from your timeline without unfollowing
* Photo Effects – Add cool filters, effects and captions to photos, as you upload them
* Smart Filters – Filter your timeline to look only at tweets with photos, links or videos
Tweetings is a powerful Twitter Client for Android devices.
- Large screen support with panes
- Customize, edit, apply filters to photos
- Split long tweets into multiple shorter tweets
- Google Cloud push notifications for mentions, dms, when you get a new follower, when you are retweeted, etc
- Schedule tweets: write a tweet, set a time and a date and then just wait. Your device doesn’t even need to be turned on!
- Translate tweets
- Mute twitter users, words or applications
- Add tweets to Buffer (see http://bufferapp.com)
- Multi-window support for compatible devices (such as Galaxy Note 2)
Make your own widgets easily in a WYSIWYG (What-you-see-is-what-you-get) editor. Use custom layout, fonts, images, shapes, interesting objects like series clocks, weather information with icons, unread SMS and Gmail counts, battery information with bars and pie graphs, analog clocks, TASKER VARIABLES and more. Use hotspots to assign actions to widget.
Does not require programming, editing xml files or rooting your phone. Share your creations easily either through .uzip files or make APKs and post on Google play. Or keep your unique widgets to yourself and tease others.
26. Clean Widgets
Give your phone a facelift with these beautiful, eye-catching widgets! Clean Widgets is a suite of attractive, stylish, and useful widgets for your home screens. Buy today and give your phone or tablet a facelift!
The suite contains a digital clock widget (4×2, 2×1), Battery Widget (2×1, 1×1), WiFi Widget (2×1, 1×1), and 1×1 toggle widgets for Bluetooth, Airplane Mode, Vibrate Mode, Auto-rotate, Auto-sync, Brightness, and Flashlight.
The large and small clocks can have 12 or 24 hour time, and can be made to launch an app when they’re pressed. In Android 4.2 and up, the clock widget can be added to the lock screen!
Transparent Calendar Widget lets you see your calendar events on the home screen without opaque backgrounds that blocks your beautiful wallpaper. It’s also possible to add it to your lock screen in Android 4.2.
The widget will show events of the visible calendars in the default calendar app.
This is the Android 4.2 clock widget, but with the entire time displayed in Roboto Light. It can be used as both a launcher widget and a lockscreen widget. A Daydream is also available.
There is also a “Fixed Clock Center” widget which additionally vertically centers the widget in whatever space it has available. This will NOT change anything simply by installing. You must add the new widget manually.
You can also configure the clock font to be Light, Regular, or Bold and configure the date and alarm to be Condensed Bold, Condensed, Light, or Regular. You can also make the date and alarm all caps or not.
28. My HTML Widget
If you want to customize your HomeScreen (or LockScreen since Android 4.2) with a personal message, this app is for you! Very useful if your device has been lost, keep your finger crossed that the people that will find is honest and leave an email address or a secondary phone number!
If you have some HTML knowledge, you can even customize font size, color and background! In addition, if you are familiar with apps like Tasker and Locale, you can also configure a dynamic message that will depend on your location, the state of your phone, or some calls / SMS.
Beautiful set of widgets including clock+weather, with some toggles. Beautiful Widgets, the perfect widgets application get a facelift and is back in a brand new version! Tons of widgets, tons of themes, just for you.
Beautiful Widgets is your best friend for customizing your home screen. Make it personal, be unique & express yourself. Beautiful Widgets was the first paid app reaching 1 million of downloads. It has been Google Editor’s Choice for more than a year, and more then 3 years in the top #5 paid applications in the Android Play Store.
30. HD Widgets
HD Widgets are the next generation of widgets – something fun and amazing designed for today’s high resolution touch screens. HD Widgets includes a dozen beautiful widgets that show current time, current weather, weather forecast, and utility switches.
The best part of HD Widgets is how fun and easy it is to use. Everything in the WYSIWYG app is right at your fingertips. make changes and see the results instantly right on your wallpaper background. You can mix and match various clocks (LED, flip clock, and Honeycomb) with backgrounds, layouts, and other options. Simple!
Australian weather for your Australian phone – sourced from the BOM.
- Forecasts for every suburb in Australia, using Brand Spanking New BOM data
- Current details for your location (pressure, humidity, forecasted UV, live UV (where available), Dew Point, Delta T, Rainfall, Wind, Sunrise/Sunset & first light/last light)
- Follow me location (it updates when you open the app, so you always know your local weather)
- Exclusive hourly temperatures 6 days ahead for locations in NSW, VIC, TAS & SA (QLD, WA & NT coming soon)
- Tide data for locations around Australia (works offline)
- And more.
Screenshot credits: AndroidAnalyse
Weather is exceptionally easy to use app for staying always updated with the weather conditions. The Weather app is specifically designed to be as simple and intuitive as possible. With just one click you receive the weather condition in your status bar at your current location.
The climate state is gorgeously animated so that you can almost experience it, seeing how the weather comes alive. The app is using Weather Underground as a data source and the live updates are really tiny so that you would not use up your data cap.
33. Zooper Widget
Zooper Widget displays all the data you need the way you like. Minimal, classy, extremely customizable and battery friendly Widget with almost limitless possibilities!
- Sample templates included
- Create your templates easily, no functional limit, WYSIWYG editor
- Build your style and change everything, color, text, shapes, position and more
- Battery info (remaining time, percentage, temperature, voltage)
- World clock (multiple timezones on the same widget)
- System info, like uptime, next alarm, SD card space
- WiFi network name, cell operator, signal strenght
- Sunrise, Sunset and Astrological Nautical or Civil twilight
- Tasker integration (see website)
This list ends here. As I had already said earlier, this list only includes those apps which I personally found to be worth downloading. Though, it’s possible that there might be more apps which are good but haven’t been included in this list since it’s pretty impossible to track each of them given the vast size of the Play Store. Feel free to help me add more apps in this list
For more such updates, You can follow us on Twitter - @TechSplurge.