Several eBook reader apps have jumped into the Android Market but only few of them are good. In this post I will be listing all the best eBook Readers you can get for your Android Smartphone. If you think I have missed something, then do let me know about it by leaving a comment
1. Amazon Kindle
The highly anticipated Amazon Kindle eBook Reader for Android has just been released and its getting great reviews from users. It brings hundreds of thousands of books to the fastest growing smartphone platform. Its UI is pretty much similar to the iPhone/iPad version.
- This app does support publisher-set fonts but adjustment of the text options within Kindle for Android are limited. Typefaces cannot be changed, but there are five different text sizes and three different text themes — black-on-white, inverted white-on-black & sepia tone.
- It automatically synchronizes your last page read and annotations between devices with Whispersync.
- You can also view the annotations you created on your Kindle, computer, or other Kindle-compatible device.
You can Download this App by Searching “Kindle” in the Android Market. More Info: Amazon Kindle for Android
2. Aldiko Book Reader
Aldiko Reader is probably one of the best reader for Android you will find. It has awesome interface, using a cover browser on wooden library shelves, just as iBooks app for the iPhone or iPod.
- You can browse through the huge catalogs of eBooks or you can also import your own ePub files
- It has multiple methods of turning pages and a great night mode too.
- There is a premium edition too but there’s not much differences in features as compared to the free version. But if you like the app, I would recommend you supporting the developer team by buying the premium version
You can Download this App by Searching “Aldiko ” in the Android Market. More Info: Aldiko
Kobo eBooks is another great reader. It has a vast gallery of over 2 million books available for purchase and more than thousands of free books.
- It requires you to register for a free account which is an easy task. Once created, you can read your favorite book on any device like tablets, netbooks or any other device that Kobo supports.
- Cons: Lack of ability to bookmark and the eBooks are much expensive as compared to to other ebook services
You can Download this App by Searching “Kobo ” in the Android Market. More Info: Kobo for Android
FBReader ebook reader has multiple page-turn options and a great night mode. You can click on the links in the text for footnotes and can store books wherever you like on your SD Card, two features which you won’t find in Aldiko.
- It doesn’t search online catalogs directly, but if you browse to feedbooks.mobi and click on an ePub link, it will automatically download and import into FBReader.
- It supports ePub, oeb and fb2(.zip) formats.
- Cons: Once you click a link, there’s no reading history to get you back to the main book text. You have to create a bookmark before going to read a footnote/endnote. Once the footnote is read, you have to go back to the bookmark to continue reading.
You can Download this App by Searching “FBReader” in the Android Market. More Info FBReader Official Site
WordPlayer eBook Reader app has some nice features such as page navigation, bookmarking and much more such as:
- You can easily change the text size, background and text color, or font. You can even set WordPlayer to turn pages with a flick of your wrist.
- If you want to highlight a particular Passage, then it can be done with a touch of the screen
- It also has Text to Speech feature so it can read out the passages for you if you are too lazy to read it 😀
You can Download this App by Searching “WordPlayer ” in the Android Market. More Info WordPlayer Official Site
Wattpad has a great gallery of over 1,00,000+ ebooks which you browse from and all of them are Free. I have used this app on many devices each running on a different OS and its a great app. You can download ebooks directly from the website or by obtaining a “wattcode” for a particular book from the Wattpad mobile site. Entering the code in the reader will download the book.
You can Download this App by Searching “Wattpad ” in the Android Market.
Some other good eBook readers that you may wish to try:
7. MultiReader (Costs €3.50)
- Supports pdf, ePub, txt, doc, rtf, ppt
- Online catalogs: Gutenberg
- Uses the text-to-speech functionalities of the Android device to speak the text of the eBook. Works with multiple languages as well as several different voice services. In other words, it’s not limited to just the Android speech synthesis system.
You can Download this App by Searching “MultiReader” in the Android Market.
8. Scribd Agent Lite
- The only client for Scribd. Its a free app, though not specifically eBook oriented, is a nice resource to have. Tthere’s a £2.99 premium version too which comes with upload/publish capabilities.
- Formats supported: Scribd
You can Download this App by Searching “Scribd Agent Lite ” in the Android Market.