Sharing your location is now a safety measure. And Apple anticipated its necessity when it launched iOS 10. For iPhone users, Apple’s iMessage service is a great tool. It’s easy and slick, and iOS 10 even made it all the more fun to use. And along with the cool stuff, Apple also brought in the option to share your location to your friends. You just have to type in “I’m at” and a map will pop up letting you share your location. In the same way, a map pops up even when your friend sends you a message asking you where you are. However for these options to work, you need to enable location sharing on your app. Well, here’s how you can do that.
Enable location sharing on Messages
To allow the Messages app to share your location with friends, you need to first enable the option in the Settings app.
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services
- Tap on Location Services and turn on the button, if not already done.
- Tap on Share My Location, and on the inner screen enable Share My Location. You can also choose the device from which you’ll share your location.
- Now return to the previous screen.
- Scroll down to Messages in the list of apps and enable location sharing. Choose the “While Using” option.
Share your location through Messages
Now that you have enabled location sharing, head over to the Messages app and open a message. When you type in “I’m at” a “Current Location” option will show up in the prediction bar. You can tap on it to share your location with your friend.
When a friend send you an iMessage saying “Where are you?” the app will automatically share your location. Note that the app will share your location even of you haven’t read the message yet.
Just like in a message, you can also share your location with your contacts. Here’s how you can set it up.
The Messages app will let you share your location for a limited time, too, if you choose. You can share location details for and hour, for a day, or forever. To enable this option, you’ll have to enable location sharing on your phone (the previous one was for the Messages app.)
Enable location sharing on your phone
- Head over to the Settings app.
- Go to Privacy > Location Services.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and then tap on “System Services”.
- Enable “Share My Location”.
Now if you open the Messages app and select a contact to send your location. Tap on the info icon (“i”) on the top right corner and then tap “Share My Location”. A pop up menu will appear asking you how long you’d like to share your location for.
That’s all. Your friend will receive a notification and they can tap on the info icon to see your current location.