A computer hard drive is the storage media device on which you store all the important files including the Operating System (OS) files, videos, photos, documents, and more. Thus, it’s natural for you to be worried if something happens to it and you aren’t able to access the data.
One of the most common hard drive issues that leave computer users stumped is the infamous “The disk is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?” error. In this, you can’t open the hard drive/partition, and the hard drive shows 0 bytes.
Although the system gives you the option of formatting the hard drive which also solves the problem and makes the device healthy again, it means you also lose the data itself. So, is there a solution? Well, actually there is, but first things first:
What is the Cause of the Problem in which Hard Drive shows 0 bytes?
There can be many reasons why your hard drive shows 0 bytes. Some of the most common ones include:
Bad sectors- Inside a computer hard drive is a hardware arrangement akin to a record player. To be specific, there is a rotating magnetic platter on which a read/write head moves around to access different regions that store different files. However, over years of usage, the continuous wear and tear can eventually give rise to bad sectors, i.e. hard drive regions that the read/write head cannot read.
Virus Infection- the Internet may have its uses, but it’s also a breeding ground for malware and viruses. So, it’s not uncommon for computer users to accidentally download viruses from spam emails, pirated software, malicious websites, etc.
Different types of malware affect your computer differently. However, there are many that simply attack the data stored on your hard drive and corrupt the critical system/storage files that make the hard drive “raw” which is when the hard drive shows 0 bytes.
Sudden Power Outages -When power fails abruptly, not all the components of a computer shut down immediately. The hard drive and DMA (Direct Memory Access) controller (a microchip that allows an input/output device to send or receive data directly to or from the main memory, thus bypassing the CPU for faster memory operations) remain active for a little longer than the other components. However, if data is being written to the hard drive during that, then DMA continues to read the data from the computer memory (RAM) even though this data is corrupted. Many file systems are highly sensitive to this kind of data storage behavior which can result in data corruption.
Sudden power outrages harm the data on the software front too. For instance, when there is uncommitted data in the disk write cache (a memory service which is used to collect data for faster data transfers) and power fails abruptly, then the data can get corrupted easily. This is because the data is lost before it is written 100% from the cache.
What is the best solution when hard drive shows 0 bytes?
When a hard drive becomes corrupted, i.e. shows 0 bytes of free space, then you can simply format the hard drive to fix the problem at the cost of losing the data. However, if you want to recover the data, then the only viable solution is to use a professional data recovery software such as Stellar Phoenix windows data recovery software.
The following are the steps to use this windows data recovery software:
Even though there are many data recovery software available on the Internet, you can’t go wrong with stellar windows data recovery software. It’s a well-known data recovery software brand that has served over 2 million users across the globe.
The Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery software is an excellent choice because of the following features:
- Download and install Stellar Windows Data Recovery software on your computer.
- Launch the program and select the data you want to recover. You can use either recovery everything (all files and folders) or just the documents, emails, multimedia files, etc.
- Select the hard drive or partition you want to recover the data from and click “Scan”.
- The program will scan all the files stored on the hard drive which you can preview on the left side of the window under ‘File Type,’ ‘Tree View’ and ‘Deleted List’.
- Select the files you want to recover and click “Save”.
- Select a destination folder in which you want to save the recovered files and click” Start Saving”.
- Once the files are recovered, format the corrupted hard drive and it will be as good as new. You can now transfer the recovered files to it.
- Deep scan: A comprehensive data analysis so that not a single file is left out in the scan. In other words- 100% data recovery guaranteed!
- Files Preview: See the list of files available before you perform the scan.
- Product demo: Use the software first and actually see the list of files it can recover before paying anything.
- 100% safe and Secure: Stellar is one of the most trusted names in the industry. Thus, you can use its products and services without worrying about your precious data.
Don’t take any chances if your data is important to you. Use only a reliable software like Stellar Phoenix windows data recovery software for safe and secure data recovery!
Being one of the pioneers in the data recovery industry in India, Stellar Data Recovery (an ISO 9001:2008 & ISO 27001:2013 certified company with 15 branches across India) has been providing an array of sound data recovery services & software solutions since 1993. With proprietary data recovery service techniques that assures 100% data confidentiality, experienced team of data recovery specialist, access to in-house Research & Development, state of the art infrastructure of CLASS 100 CLEAN ROOM for 100% data recovery, Stellar has turned out to be the premium choice for customers by and large.