The Android market has been updated and the new interface looks incredibly refreshing with a metro touch. Available for Android 2.2+, it brings some much needed features such as switching between multiple accounts, rating of comments and much more.
But still, the market lacks some important features like categorization of apps based on interests and some more. My views on the new market:
Download: New Android Market, if you haven’t got it already.
- First impression: The metro interface! It is refreshing and it looks really good.
- Google Books and Movies are now integrated with the market. All the movies and books will be instantly available on our devices. But, sigh, its only available for US.
- Finally I can switch accounts! This was little irritating for me as previously, the only option to change primary email id was to format the phone. Thank you Google.
- I can now rate comments. It always irritated me seeing few dumbheadsgiving a great app a negative rating for some lame reason.But I wonder how android is going to take feedbacks into consideration for up/downvoting of comments.
- The header remains fixed while scrolling. So now I don’t need to scroll way to the top for downloading an app after reading some reviews at the bottom. (screenshot)
- Viewing screenshots is easy with horizontal scrolling.
- There’s a change-log section as well which was missing earlier. (correct me if I’m wrong on this)
- I can share apps and there’s a button for returning back to apps list as well.
What Still Remains
- Why do I always see the same old apps in every single category? I’ve either already installed them or they’re useless for me.Google, how about a personalized section for suggesting apps of my interest by taking clues from existing apps of mine instead of displaying all the useless apps?
- There is a second lag when returning to the category list from an App page. I wonder what’s the advantage of my SGS2’s dual core processor then?
- I no longer receive app update notifications. Maybe it’ll get fixed when I get the market app officially.
- Duplicate app screenshots are appearing, one being a very low resolution and the other a clear one. For example, see below:
(taken from BBC News App)