When it comes to securing your Android phone from theft, there are several popular apps for this purpose such as Prey, Lookout, Seekdroid etc. But, slightly lost in the noise, there’s another, better app called Cerberus.
It is maybe among the most underrated anti-theft app. It cannot boast its number of users that others boast of but still it’s my favourite app in this category, and there are a number of reasons for this:
5+2 Reasons Why I love it
- I can remotely take photos and record audio (5 mins max at a time) without letting the person, using it, know about it.
- It can even sustain a full wipe or flashing of a ROM. This means I’ll still be able to track my phone if someone tries to flash a new ROM in it. (requires root). Though, on non-rooted devices, it can only sustain full format of phone.
- GPS and WiFi can be remotely enabled even if it’s turned off (again, requires root). This does not work in other apps (correct me if I’m wrong) when running on Gingerbread+ as Google no longer allows it. [Instructions here]. Further, data connection can also be enabled remotely.
- Start alarm with a custom Message, even if it’s silent and Lock screen with a custom lock code. If someone enters a wrong lock code (or alarm/message dismissal), his photo will be automatically emailed to me.
- It sends SMS alerts to multiple contacts in case the SIM is changed with the device’s current location. Further, it can also alert if the phone was started without a SIM/airplane mode.
- If there’s no data connection available, functions such as phone lock, wipe, tracking will still work through SMS.
- A neat web interface. The web dashboard doesn’t have a single widget with lots of text boasting about its service. Its simple, over.
What Lacks in Cerberus
(Leaving this blank till I find something)
Download: Cerberus App
(Free for 1 week. Premium Version costs €3 or $4.3, one-time.)
I won’t boast that I’ve tested all the available anti theft apps for android for this job and if anyone knows a better one, you’re more than welcome to shout at me.