Later yesterday, Microsoft unveiled the much awaited developer preview of Windows 8 (build 8102 M3) for both x86 and x64 processors during the BUILD conference. It’s like a pre-beta version of Windows 8 intended for developers to build their applications. This is the first time Microsoft has officially posted it for download and previously, all the builds were leaked builds from different sources.
The build packs in the beautiful ‘Metro Start Screen’ along with an updated Task Manager, File management tool, Face Recognition Lock etc. Ah and yes, when the OS is perfectly ready, it should boot-up in just 8 seconds, as claimed by Microsoft! Enough speaking now, let’s move ahead to windows 8 consumer preview download links:
Related Post: How to Install Windows 8 on a Virtual Machine
Windows 8 Direct Download HTTP Links
Windows Consumer Preview, 64-bit (x64)
Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Consumer Preview and Metro style apps on a 64-bit PC.
Download: Windows 8 x64 Consumer Preview (3.3GB)
Windows Consumer Preview, 32-bit (x86)
Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Consumer Preview and Metro style apps on a 32-bit PC.
Download: Windows 8 x32 Consumer Preview (2.5GB)
Windows 8 Consumer Preview Product Key
Product Key: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J
Windows 8 Developer tools, 64-bit (x64)
All of the following come on a disk image file (.iso). See below for installation instructions.
- 64-bit Windows Developer Preview
- Windows SDK for Metro style apps
- Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows Developer Preview
- Microsoft Expression Blend 5 Developer Preview
- 28 Metro style apps including the BUILD Conference app
Download: Windows 8 Developer Tools
Windows 8 Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:
- 1 GHz or faster (32-bit or 64-bit) processor
- 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
You might have already observed, these requirements are actually similar than that of Windows 7. Cool.
Notes about installing the Windows Consumer Preview
- You can’t uninstall the Windows Consumer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.
BUILD Conference Videos and Images
Those who missed the BUILD conference Day 1, they view the videos, screenshots and more offline: Webcasts: Live & On-Demand News: Windows 8 Developer Preview Images: Screenshots Feature: Opportunities for Developers
Now that you have installed Windows 8, You would be interested in checking out our article on Comprehensive List of Windows 8 Keyboard Shortcuts [+ Mouse]