Looks like Facebook is feeling too much heat of Google+, It is leaving no stone unturned to make sure it’s users don’t leave them. It did a Google+ by introducing feature that allowed sharing the updates selectively to friends / public or custom group.
Now it has introduced a new feature called Facebook Subscriptions, that allows users to subscribe to your Updates that are public. It is very much in lines with what Twitter & Google+ have been offering since their inception.Its one of the best features that Facebook has introduced off late.
A word of caution before you activate this feature, cross check if only the things you feel are appropriate to be shared publicly are being shown to people. You may do so by selecting “View As” button on your profile page and then click the “public” link to see what updates in your profile are public.
If you are wondering how to activate Facebook subscriptions, here is a quick tutorial.
1) Visit this Link. (Obviously you need to be logged in!)
– Now Click Allow Subscribers.
2) Choose the preferred privacy settting
After having tried it, if you feel its not your cup of tea, you can deactivate it any time by following these steps.
How To Deactivate Facebook Subscriptions:-
Does this feature make the differences between Facebook Fan Page and Profile even more fainter?
Answer- Not really! Here is a quick comparison between the two.
You can easily manage your subscriptions and your subscribers by visiting your profile page and clicking on corresponding link.
- You can have unlimited number of subscribers to your profile but you can subscribe to a maximum of 5,000 profiles.
- Wondering why you can’t see the option on your friends profile? (Hasn’t he activated it yet?) Well, there is no need for you to subscribe to your friend’s updates as you have been already getting all his updates! :p