The much awaited update of Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich update for Samsung Galaxy S II has finally been released by Samsung yesterday to select European countries.
Wondering what’s new in Android 4.0? Find out my favorite 18 new features here.
In this tutorial, I’ll show you how to upgrade to Android 4.0.3 firmware XXLPQ on Samsung Galaxy S II. This can be installed on any international model of Galaxy S II. (Carrier branded models in USA aren’t included)
Before we Start
1. First of all, Download the necessary files here:
b) ODIN 1.85 (199 KB)
Password – techsplurge.com
2. You’ll also have to enable USB Debugging mode.
Android 2.3 Gingerbread: Settings > Applications > Development and check USB Debugging.
Android 4.0 ICS: Settings > Developer Options > check USB Debugging.
3. Make sure you’ve Samsung Kies installed on your PC and it is closed before you start flashing. Open task manager in Windows (Ctrl+alt+delete) and kill any Kies related process.
4. Charge your phone’s battery to full. Why? Because usually, while flashing a new ROM, the ROM registers your current battery state as full.
Install ClockWorkMod in your phone by following the instructions in this guide.
After flashing, enter recovery mode in your phone by switching it off and then simultaneously pressing Home+Volume up+Power buttons. Use volume buttons to navigate and home button to choose:
Backup and Restore > Backup current ROM
How to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 Firmware XXLPQ
1. Extract the Android 4.0.3 Firmware XXLPQ and ODIN in separate folders.
Without unzipping the “Odin 1.85″ folder, Odin program won’t run at all. It will just flash for a second or two and and then crash into oblivion. Thanks Ron!
2. Run Odin. Then, switch-off your phone and enter into downloading mode by simultaneously pressing Home+Volume down+Power buttons.
3. Plug your phone to your PC/Laptop using a USB cable. The first box under ID:COM section in Odin will turn Yellow. This is an indication that we’re going in the correct way.
4. Important: Make sure that only Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked and Re-Partition and Flash lock are unchecked.
5. Click on PDA and load your extracted firmware file.
6. Hit Start *fingers crossed* and wait till it’s done!
Get ready to taste some delicious Ice Cream Sandwich on your phone. The phone will take some time to start, so don’t get scared that your phone isn’t booting up.
Have a Problem?
Q) Help! I’m stuck on the S logo screen. It’s taking too long to start.
A) You’re not stuck, an update takes WAY too much time to boot for the first time.
Phone still not starting? Do one thing. Put your phone in recovery mode. Choose: Wipe data/factory reset. Next, choose Wipe cache partition. Restart your phone. Be patient.
If you’ve got other questions regarding this tutorial on how to upgrade Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 Firmware XXLPQ, feel free to ask them here by leaving a comment below.